[pct-l] PCT questions: the variety pack

Casey Mangnall mangler06 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 08:05:41 CDT 2013

1. Rivers: Where are some of the more treacherous river crossings in the Sierras? (i.e. crossings where the water is swift and deep)

2. Calories: I'd like some feedback from female hikers regarding  how many calories they consumed per day and how many miles/day they hiked on their PCT thru-hike.

3. Snakes in a sleeping bag?: It sounds like a horrifying sequel to that other movie "Snakes on a Plane"...tell me it's an urban myth. Most of my time camping in the desert has been in the winter, so I've stayed in a tent. I prefer cowboy camping when I can, but I'm new to camping in the desert in late spring. It seems highly unlikely that I would wake up with a rattlesnake in my sleeping bag, but I've heard stories, so I just wanted to hear from others who cowboy camp that it is in fact perfectly fine to cowboy camp in the desert.

4. Ice axe and microspikes: I saw a question sent out earlier regarding this topic, but I don't remember reading any responses. Are other hikers carrying one or both of these items through the Sierras this year? Any input from previous thru-hikers? (I know how to use both an ice axe and trekking pole for self arrest, but I feel more confident in my skills with an ice axe.)

Thanks!