[pct-l] PCT questions: the variety pack

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Apr 17 08:46:05 CDT 2013

Good morning, Casey,

Question No. 1 -- Rivers:  Stream flow in the Sierra varies greatly with
the time of day, the day of the hiking season, and with a particular year’s
snowpack.  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265511

You didn’t say if you were a normal NoBo PCT hiker – or as “normal” as a
PCT hiker ever is – who crosses the Sierra early in the season, or if you
are a summer JMT-type who hikes after the greater part of the snowpack has
already melted.  You also didn’t say if you were hiking this year, which is
looking to be a very low snow season.

If you are hiking this year with the bulk of the NoBo' the answer to your
question is: there won’t be any treacherous crossings.  Maybe at the
Evolution Creek or Bear Creek crossings you will find knee-deep water in
the afternoon, but that’s about it.

Question No. 2 – Female Calories:  I’m a male.

Question No. 3 – Snakes in the bag:  I’ve been sleeping under the stars in
the mountain and desert West since the 1950’s and have never had – or even
heard of – a snake crawling in a sleeping bag. I’ve had a few ants now and
then if I didn’t select my bed-site with care, but never a snake, scorpion,
or any other such little folk.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye