[pct-l] Stove advice

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Apr 30 23:06:47 CDT 2013

On 4/30/2013 12:46 PM, Robin Brown wrote:
> For a couple on the trail, who cook meals together...
> We have been considering using an alcohol stove for our thru next year, but
> don't have experience with alcohol.
> Is it totally inefficient to boil water/cook for 2 with 1 alcohol stove?
> Or if we plan to use alcohol, should we each have our own stove (and that
> means we would each have our own pot...)
> So would it be more weight efficient to just stick with our single pot and
> our pocket rocket that we have always used in the past?

I'm not the expert here, but I don't see any other replies, so I'll toss
in my $.02.

If you are certain that the two of you will stay together through the
hike, alcohol may not be the best way to go. Your pocket rocket will be
more efficient, and that efficiency will will work better for you than
duplicating your cooking equipment and fuel.

If there is a possibility of getting separated, each of you should have
your own cooking equipment, in which case alcohol will work better.