[pct-l] What the PCT is Really Like

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 15 22:07:22 CDT 2013

Dear Josh,

To paraphrase what you wrote:  "everything I have read/watched seems to show the good side of the PCT...I want to see what the PCT is really like...the trials and tribulations...Is there something out there that will show me this stuff? Show me the...difficult times, not just the good times..."

Let me expand on why I recommended Ray Jardine's Books, all of which I've read, the first two multiple times.

How you feel about the adversities you encounter depends on how you FILTER them.

Ray devotes a whole must read chapter to "Hiking Enjoyment as a Learned Skill".   Part of this is having the right gear.  Hint:  because I use a silver umbrella for sun, wind, and rain, I am THE most cheerful rainy day hiker around.  In the sun, I  seem to be much more comfortable in the sun than those bundled up in heat trapping sunhats and long sleeved sunshirts--the silver umbrella allows me to uncover for uninhibited evaporative cooling.

Ray discusses "Trail Shock" and it's remedies.  Basically it's common to have serious doubts, trouble adjusting (and perhaps poor appetite)  right off the bat and it's a good idea to take it easy for the first couple weeks until you get over it.

Much of the hike is more a mental challenge than a physical one and Ray points out that poor nutrition will cause your brain to conspire to get you to go home where the food is.  Especially if you are trying to subsist on nutritionally deficit convenience store food, your brain could be really working overtime reminding you of all the things you could be doing at home and imparting guilt for being so self indulgent...worse if you have a significant other or pet at home.

Ray also delves into post hike blues, although I can't recall his catchy name for them.  Trust me that if you read this book after doing after doing a hike, you will be kicking yourself for missing out on a HUGE wealth of pertinent information.

Ray Jardine is a genius rocket scientist turned Adventure Guru who's now logged approximately 30,000 distance hiking miles, including AT hikes very recently.  Besides hiking he does all manner of "Next Fun Trips"--his nonstop adventure resume would blow anyone's mind and is chronicled on his website.

The first book, "The PCT Hiker's Handbook" was probably the first PCT handbook and it revolutionized traditional backpacking gear and techniques.  It was a complete how to hike the PCT handbook that encompassed everything.  Of course the resupply information is largely outdated.

The second book, "Beyond Backpacking" excludes PCT resupply info, adds sewing your own gear info and expands on everything else.  The final book, "Trail Life..." is the ultimate distance hiking manifesto with over 300 color photographs.

Sincerely, Lollygag

Josh Breslow jbreslowsubs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 12:41:40 CDT 2013