[pct-l] PCTA statement about "Forest Service upholds PCT"

Nick Thelen nthelen03 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 7 11:27:28 CST 2013

Dan wrote:
"Nick,
Not sure where you received your info but the statute clearly states,
"....any person who violates such regulations shall be guilty of a
misdemeanor, and may be punished by a fine of not more $500 or by
imprisonment not exceeding six months, or by both such fine and imprisonment. "

Check out http://www.public.iastate.edu/~sfr/nts/nts_act.html for a complete text.

It is noteworth that this is a federal crime and besides the criminal penalties a person puts at risk employment especially where a security clearence and background check is required.

Thumper "

______________________________________

Yes Dan - I am well aware of the regulations...and that the max has never been handed out.

I am also aware that increased enforcement on the PCT goes for everyone...and
that the USFS prioritizes enforcement of moto use and marijuana on the PCT over bicycles.

Every LEO Ranger (or FPO) has their own style of issuing citations....just like
traffic cops.  Some are cool and give you a warning, others are tightwads and
hand out tickets like they're going out of style...

So, increased enforcement is increased for all.  Do you really want to see rangers
everywhere?

And you didn't answer my original question - what if a MTB citation is challenged
in court and wins?

There are quite a few MTB'rs who would like to find that out, misdemeanor or not.

I'd give the odds 50/50 (just my opinion of course)

Love,
Nick