[pct-l] San Jacinto Area PCT Closure update

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 13:08:17 CST 2013

Still running down this issue
  I have been placing calls to San Bernardino
National Forest but do not have a response yet  – however it is the day
after Christmas.  But – there is an update published on their website and
given all of the confusion and misinformation that has already been
disseminated around this issue I am putting much more stock in a published
website update than in the verbal variety of update.

The web update is dated 11-12-13 and it explicitly says:   “This Order
supersedes Order No. 13-11, dated August 8, 2013”  The map from August 8 is
the one currently shown and cited by PCTA.org that shows the PCT closed
until Strawberry junction at mile 183 – so that map is “officially” out of
date.

The 11-12-13 document
(www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sbnf/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5440808) contains a
link to the map that shows the PCT is OPEN from the Devils Slide Trail (Mile
179.5) northwards.  For those interested, the map that is dated 11-12-13 is
located at: www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5440813.pdf.
Once again, this does not seem like a big change – except that it makes the
San Jacinto alternate accessible.  That’s a bonus for me.  The PCT remains
closed from Highway 74 (Near Paradise Café) to mile 179.5.

I will contact PCTA and let them know their website is linking to outdated
information.  I’ll keep you posted if any of this changes as I speak to
USFS.

Timberline