[pct-l] Foot expansion vs. foot protection

Douglas Tow douglastow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 13:35:06 CST 2013

Good morning!

1.  Unless you hike 10-20 miles every day with a pack on your back, you
will not be able to predict exactly what will happen to your feet on the
trail.  I can state with some confidence that most hikers experience some
sort of problems with their feet, some of which solve themselves as the
feet adapt to the punishment they are taking.  Some problems are "treated
while walking" while some require some time off the trail for healing.
Shoe changes, different socks or liner socks, all occur with regularity in
an attempt to figure it all out.

2.  Even if your feet don't expand, lengthen, etc., consider sizing up a
size from your normal size.  Long downhill segments will push your toes
forward even with good shoe tightening beforehand (don't we all remember
the fun we had when we forgot to do this).  When the toes get jammed,
bruising, black toes, and toenail loss can occur, not to mention the ache.

3.  You are preparing for a 5-month trek.  Your best planning should
include 4-7 day shakedown hikes to put your gear to the test, including
your shoes.  I guarantee that your eyes will be opened, and that changes
will result.

3.  I am a devoted fan of Leukotape when foot taping is needed
prophylactically or to cover red spots or blisters.  I have found it better
than any other product, as it sticks tenaciously and doesn't ruck when you
pull your socks or shoes on.  It's the first item on my gear checklist.

Chipmunk