[pct-l] Tents

John Abela john at hikelighter.com
Thu Feb 21 06:15:46 CST 2013

Abilene,

If you are intent on buying one of those three I would probably say
the Carbon Reflex, and only because it is the lightest of the three.

A three pound TSW shelter is just totally unnecessary on the PCT

For a whole lot less money you could get into a lighter shelter than
any of the three you listed.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html - Six Moon Designs
Skyscape Trekker, is going to be less expensive, and provide more room
than the three you listed.

http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html - TarpTent Moment, is going to be
less expensive, and provide more room than the three you listed, and
is free standing.

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html - TarpTent Rainbow, which I
prefer over the moment, is going to be less expensive, and provide
waaaaay more room than the three you listed, and is free standing.

GossamerGear should have their manufacturing ramped up in time for the
start of the PCT (hopefully!!) and if they do, you could add the
GossamerGear "The One" to the list as well. It has a cult like
following from PCT hikers.

Yes, these may not be "big name" companies that you can find at your
local REI (or whatnot) but there is probably a 90% chance you will see
more of just one of these three shelters, than you would all three
that you mentioned, while hiking the PCT.

Hope this helps.
+John Abela
HikeLighter.Com