[pct-l] Sierra and SoCal snow comparisons

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Sat Feb 23 15:18:32 CST 2013

Frank is entirely correct!

Water surveys can lend a picture of how much snow is there at the time of
the survey, but how much will be there when you get there is another story.

What is important is, how does this information relate to how you're going
to get through it and deal with it safely in order to continue having fun
once you're there?

Sure, if the pack is low during the winter, perhaps in the spring it will be
less, but will it be the idealistic "gone?" Ideally, we would all like to
hike on always-dry trail and in the best of weather and with the lightest
loads, but what we find may not be so. In reality, it is best to assume that
you will have snow to trudge over to one degree or another, pretty much
whenever you leave a sierra trailhead prior to August and are heading for
one of its high passes. The snowline may be at 9,500 in May, at 10,500 in
June, or at 11,000 in July, but even in late July in an average year, there
often is snow on the passes.

As we teach, "It doesn't matter how deep the snow is, whether it is 8 inches
or 8 feet, you have to deal with walking on it the same!"

So, as PCT thru hikers, accept that you will run into snow somewhere on your
hike, whether patches or entire miles of snowfields, discover how to get
around on it without falling down, and practice how to prevent injury should
you fall.

Snow is scary to those who don't understand it and fun to those who do (in a
nutshell)!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org