[pct-l] what's the best 250 mile section?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:57:21 CST 2013

The thing is, I'm not a badass at all, I just kept hiking and the speeds
built up.  California really kicks butt.  You're in and out of canyons and
climbing mountains right up to Siskiyou Pass but then is just levels out in
Oregon and the decrease in daily vertical climbs and descents translates
into a faster pace.  The thing that's so amazing is that you can do it day
after day and feel good physically.

It didn't hurt to be hiking with a bunch of 25 year olds.  They really kept
my speed up.  I was always the last one into camp each day, but they'd
often slow down to hike behind me to hear stories from the '60's.  Us
geezers, we're walking history at this point, and that's got some value on
trail.  I have to admit that when I crossed into Canada with a whole bunch
of hikers, all of whom could have been my kids, I did feel kind of badass.
 I would have been proud to have had any of them for kids for that matter,
they were such a great bunch of folks.

Oh, and I took way more zero days than your four, so you're the certified
badass!  Go on a flaunt it.

Shroomer