[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 61, Issue 1

Stephen M Crane stephenmcrane at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 00:46:25 CST 2013

Randy / Walljito,

I carried an Osprey 50 with the BV500 bear vault through the Sierras on my hike this year without any problems.

In fact, I left Kennedy Meadows with 11 days of food loaded in the BV500 and an Ursa Minor bag.  Total weight, including water, was 38# according to the scale at Tom's Kennedy Meadows cyber cafe.

I loaded my sleeping bag and some clothes on the bottom, stood the bear vault vertically, and then put other items I needed around it.  I laid the Ursa Minor bag flat on top, under the lid (which was raised a bit at first), and ate out of that first to minimize the time I might be bending the bear canister regulations.

I could get into the canister without taking it out of my pack.  I didn't spin it all the way closed except at night.

For the record, I ultimately saw the error of the 11 day plan to hike straight through to VVR that I had reluctantly agreed to.  I hiked out to Bishop at Kearsarge Pass to hang with a different group of hikers and would take that route again next time.  Bullfrog lakes and Kearsarge Pass are beautiful, Bishop is a blast, and carrying 11 days of food is just heavy, slow, and hard.

With that said, the Osprey 50 worked just fine for me, bear vault and all.

Steve "That Guy" Crane