[pct-l] Traffic and Solar Panels

Seth Jacobs jacobs.sethf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 22:46:29 CST 2013

Spouses worry.  It's  what they do.

You can help them by talking about the trip and how you've planned for
various contingencies.  For example, that you can put up your tent in the
dark and in the wind.  That you know how cold it will get and that you have
the clothes and the bag to stay warm.  That you know where the water is and
you'll carry enough water to get you to the next reliable water (with some
left in reserve).

You can help them by providing them with a map of your trip.  Use a
highlighter to show your route, and explain that you'll be hiking an
average of X miles per hour, and indicate each night's expected campsite
and when you expect to be in a town.

Tell them that phone coverage is very spotty and it's likely they'll only
hear from you when you're in town, and that anything else is a bonus.

When you wake up send a brief text.  It might not go out right away, but if
you leave the phone one while you hike it's likely it'll go out when you go
over a ridge.  One text message a day is very reassuring, and if something
does go wrong it'll help narrow down the search area.

Spouses also worry about what they should do if you're seriously overdue.

If you're seriously overdue what they should do is call Search & Rescue and
the sheriff's office in the county that you're in is who coordinates that.
So the county lines should be clearly marked on the map and the itinerary
you give her.  Write out who she should call if you're X days overdue.  And
by "write out" I mean the name, address, and telephone number she should
call and also what she should say, word for word.

You don't want her to worry, and you don't want to worry about her
worrying.

Do a bang up job of this and it'll reassure her that you're properly
prepared for the hike.

Seth

P.S.,

I tested my solar panel for 6 months before staring out on my section hike
last year, and then it promptly failed.