[pct-l] wheeled backpack

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 14:13:25 CST 2013

On Jan 20, 2013 11:47 AM, "Robert E. Riess" <robert.riess at cox.net> wrote:

> Wheeled conveyances are prohibited anywhere on the PCT, even for trail
> maintenance crews.  Hike on!  Good luck to the Class of 2013.  BR

I hope that handicapped people aren't stopped by the idea that their
wheeled conveyance isn't allowed and they are barred from sharing even a
brief once in a lifetime experience. I would hope that there would be more
support for this kind of thing, and no, it doesn't mean opening up trails
where bicycles and motor vehicles are barred. Not everyone can own a horse,
llama, or a couple of goats. If the fellow's feet walk the trail, he's a
hiker, whether his load is on an animal or a one wheeled load carrier
designed for a single track trail. One wheeled pack carriers don't eat,
urinate or defecate, so I see this as a valid attempt to practice LNT for a
handicapped person.

There is no good reason I can think of to ban handicapped people from a
reasonable accommodation to enjoy the wilderness just because they have
found a way to carry their load that involves a wheel. Putting thirty
pounds of kit on a ten pound frame with a wheel on it does not do the
damage that a bicycle and rider and their kit would, so don't even try i to
make that comparison unless you want to advertise your extremism and belief
in exclusivity. Some might anyway, and while I respect your beliefs, it
didn't mean that anyone else had to believe as you, or I, do, or practice
as you might peach.

It belongs as much to you and me as it does to my handicapped wife with
arthritic knees or a young man with issues that prevent him from carrying
his load on his shoulders. If his feet and/or shoes push directly against
the ground to move it all, then he's a hiker in my mind, and I hope he has
the wonderful kind of experience that many before have had. He deserves it
as much as anyone else does.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal