[pct-l] Fw: wheeled backpack

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 18:27:11 CST 2013

Hello Jack,

Chipmunk made some very good points that you should heed - the wheel could be very dangerous on parts of the PCT. Michael Irving advanced a good, simple, and legal solution.

You do not say if your son is actually "handicapped" or even "disabled", only that he has a history of knee, back, and hip problems. He is not in a wheelchair. I seriously doubt that he would qualify under the ADA act.

I also doubt that there would be an exception to allow wheels on the PCT for any reason. If they ever did, it would be the beginning of a slippery slope. The Mountain Bikers would jump on the opportunity. There would be pressure to allow bikers with back "pain" to ride on the PCT. If a precedent were once set, it would open the door to wheels for various reasons. The ban on wheels or any kind of mechanized transport to protect the PCT and Wilderness areas goes back many decades. It will not be changed.

Knee, back, and hip problems are not uncommon among PCT hikers. They don't necessarily make it all the way to Canada - but some have - others have returned over a period of years to finish in Sections. Others have had a good time but have "had enough".

Some older people (and younger people too) have experienced knee and back problems and have persevered anyway. I have some lower back pain (arthritis) myself - and sometimes the knees hurt. I just extend the stirrup length and ride on. I made it to Canada, but it took four seasons. I finished the last Section in 2012 - I am now 77 and am considering the Colorado trail for this year.

I am also sending this to Mary Davison (Medicare Pastor). She is an awesome hiker and has done the entire PCT and other long trails. I have met her several times. She hikes with a leg support - I don't know what it is called. It is amazing that she has done what she has done with that handicap.

Another person that I'm sending this to is Hugh Vanderford. He is a fellow endurance rider who had done many, many, 50 and 100 milers. A few years ago he started having hip problems. He went for the surgery and had two hip replacements. Then, to my amazement, he went right back to doing 50 mile endurance races. He is an inspiration.  He shows that if you really want to do something it just might become possible - you might find a way - - - .

MendoRider-Hiker