[pct-l] Fw: wheeled backpack

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:58:57 CST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I also doubt that there would be an exception to allow wheels on the PCT for any reason.

I haven't seen in the Wilderness Act or the NST act where wheels are
prohibited. I desire to be know the truth of the matter, but I just
can't find it. If someone knows exactly where in either the WA or NSTA
where wheels are banned, I would like to know.

>From the USFS PCT FAQ page:
"Can anybody travel on the PCT?

The trail is open to the public for foot and equestrian travel only;
bicycle and motorized vehicles are not permitted. Persons who camp
overnight along the trail often may need a backcountry permit in
several of the management units. Other areas may require an entrance
or parking permit. Please check with the local area manager for
specific site information."
(http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/pct/home/?cid=stelprdb5310782)

Unless someone has more specific information banning wheels from the
PCT or wilderness areas, I'd appreciate if the spreading of false info
would stop. I cannot find any info banning wheels form the PCT. Again,
if there is some info I cannot find from congress, the USFS, or other
agency banning wheels on the PCT or in wilderness areas, I would like
to know this, soit would be helping me out to share the info with me,
and others.

>If they ever did, it would be the beginning of a slippery slope. The Mountain Bikers would jump on the opportunity.

Anyone that cannot see the difference between a wheeled pack carrier
that is pulled by someone's feet pushing against the ground and any
kind of bicycle or other mechanical conveyance is just too prejudiced
about the issue, in my opinion. I have seen some evidence that the
mountain bikers *may* have a better grasp on the difference than some
hikers, and while I will not win any friends here by saying that, the
Truth is the most important thing in any issue I care about, so I seek
it.

Cabin feverish,
Dan Jacobs
Washougal