[pct-l] help with layers of clothing

Bill Potter billpotter at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 12:54:50 CST 2013

Hi All,

I want to get a reality check on my clothing options.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hiking gear:
Lightweight pants with zip off legs

Long sleeve sun shirt
Merino wool socks
Trail runners
Wide brimmed sun hat

Rain Gear:
Mountain Hardware rain jacket
REI rainwall pants

Cold Weather gear:
Long sleeve sun shirt with Marmot down jacket/parka and the Mountain Hardware rain coat
Pants with REI rain pants
Merino wool socks
Polyester gloves
Wool cap

Question 1 - will the Columbia shirt, down jacket and rain jacket be warm enough for the weather I'll encounter on the PCT or should I get the Marmot parka instead of the jacket?  I consider myself average with temperatures, I don't run hot or cold.

Question 3 - in rain do you just leave your feet to get wet?  I don't mind hiking wet but I've never done it for days or weeks at a time like I hear can happen in Washington.

I plan on bringing Under Armour base layer 1 pants and shirt but hope to leave them for sleeping for cold nights.  I'd wear them if I needed to stay warm.

Thanks,

Bill