[pct-l] Hiker Hunger

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Jun 4 01:52:14 CDT 2013

Mountain Education just got back from our annual Snow Intermediate Course running this year from Echo Summit (hwy. 50) to Donner Summit (hwy. 80) over 7 days and 64 miles and wanted to reiterate our findings about Hiker Hunger from our students’ experiences on this trip.

The first three days in they ate a “normal” volume of food.
On Day-4, Hiker Hunger started in and they all mentioned feeling “really hungry” and wanting to eat more than they had rationed.

We told everyone to bring 8 days of food for this 7-day trip. By lunch on the last day, no one had any food remaining in their packs and everyone was dying to get to the nearest restaurant!

I am posting more details (trail and trip) at TheTahoeRimTrail at yahoogroups.com

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org