[pct-l] REI changes return policy to return before 1 year

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Jun 4 20:04:35 CDT 2013

Brick,  I hope you are choking on your soapbox.  REI is a coop buisiness
supported by membership since 1938. I remember just a few years ago, when
you returned an item just after a few months of use, you were stuck with it,
or had to contact the maker for support or return.  I was amazed recently
when I heard you could just return anything you bought from REI back after
you hiked, used it, abused it, and thruhiked with it. It truly became the
Rental Equipment Inc. As a $2 member since 1973 #533xxx,  I support their
new policy, because I know and hike with people that buy from REI just to
try it out, and return it.  If you want REI to be around as a supplier in
the future, don't abuse their policy.  I buy my hiking gear after I heavily
research it, use it until it's done, and take my lumps when I buy a mistake
(ebay). I rarely buy anything from REI now, I prefer cottage industry
designs mostly ultralight, but I do buy food in bulk (a month of Mtn House
dinners every spring!).
~~
Here is my soapbox.
They are doing it because that is the capitalist way. You take full
legal advantage of your contract and the laws. To do anything else is
simply bad business.

I don't agree with it, but it is our American Business culture.....