[pct-l] REI changes return policy to return before 1 year

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 20:31:25 CDT 2013

REI had already quietly tightened their return policy, at least in Seattle, to exchanges for store credit only instead of cash for people who return a high percentage of their purchases.  This I observed last fall while with a thru hiker trying to trade his worn gear for funds to get home.
Personally, I take pride in knowing how to sew, patch,use a repair kit, and extend the life of separating zippers.  Plus, besides OP sacks, I never buy anything from REI that isn't in the 'scratch and dent bargain basement', where all sales are final.
Most all of my gear is silly light, lunatic fringe, or handmade--I want it to wear out because if it is bombproof, it is too heavy. It seems wrong that any gear company would warranty anything past its normal life span.  This leads to overbuilt and overly heavy gear.