[pct-l] Ice axes?

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Mar 2 13:03:19 CST 2013

On Mar 2, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Scott Williams <baidarker at gmail.com> wrote:

> It all depends on the year and the snow.  If it continues to be a low snow
> year than maybe not, but several storms are stacked up and heading into CA
> this next week and they could completely change the picture.  Our group
> used them and crampons and microspikes in 2010 which was a very cold spring
> with little melt off.  In 2012 people hiked on dirt where we had used ice
> axes.

To add to this, the most common sections that *might* require an ice axe are:

San Jacinto and Fuller Ridge
High Sierra (Kennedy Meadows to Echo Lake)

Regarding San Jacinto, it is quite common for there to be dangerous sections
*prior* to arriving at the junction to the Devil Slide trail and resupply
in Idlywild. In particular Apache Peak.  If you plan to pick up your ice axe
in Idlywild in order to have it for Fuller Ridge, that may be too late.

Regarding the High Sierra, timing your approach to the high passes so that
you cross the snow between late morning and early afternoon is the best plan
whether you have an ice axe or not.  Early in the morning, the snow will
be hard and slick. Towards mid-afternoon, the snow becomes very soft and
post-holing is likely.

Radar