[pct-l] Plantar Fascittis

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 6 13:26:33 CST 2013

Hi Becky,
I, too, understand your concern, but I imagine you'll be okay if you do several
of the things suggested by others. My first time with plantar fasciitis was
really painful--and I seem to remember holding my foot in a bucket of ice water
a couple of times a day (this was not fun!), rest, massage, etc. I was careful
to have a cloth under my foot when in the shower, not go barefoot, etc. However,
I am a terrible patient, so I don't often do many of these things anymore. When
I start feeling any soreness, I stop going barefoot and go back to the stretch,
gentle massage, and icing with an icepack (or can of frozen o.j.). I also wear
custom orthotics.

I have found that the difference between walking on pavement vs. trail is like
night and day. I can take a few steps on the one and then the other and feel
pain vs. no pain. The PCT is generally not paved and the uneven surface is
better than a totally flat one.

I have section-hiked the PCT and also hiked hundreds of miles on paved roads
elsewhere.
Happy trails,
Susan Alcorn

Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com
http://www.examiner.com/hiking-in-san-francisco/susan-alcorn

Publishers of Patagonia Chronicle: On Foot in Torres del Paine; Camino
Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill:
Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers.