[pct-l] Navigation 'kit' options

Glen Winters glenbwint at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 12:21:05 CST 2013

I use the map and occasional compass option, have hiked to kennedy meadows 5 times and have made up to 1200 trail miles in a year. I've been lost kinda a few times but I'm comfortable reading TOPO's and usually don't need a compass if the suns out. The only times I would have liked GPS is night hiking the Mohave and just as reassurance in the snow, like fuller ridge and the sierras. I have used the old guidebooks (maps are too small topo hard to read especially if off the trail-lost) Yogi's guide and Halfmile maps. There are more options (Erik the black guides) and plenty of experienced and inexperienced hikers have succeeded with any option you choose.  I would recommend hiking with others at start hard not to do. Try to make it with maps and compass buy a gps if you feel uncomfortable/unsafe just don't put 100% reliance on electronics.

Argentina