[pct-l] FOOOOD!

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Mon Mar 11 20:02:22 CDT 2013

On Mar 11, 2013, at 5:27 PM, Abilene B. <abilenebushong at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Okay SO - I have pretty much all my gear, I've read tons of books, but still I am unsure as to how and where to start planning the logistics of food. I don't understand enough to know whether I will buy all my food along the way, send all my food by mail, or do half and half of both.

If you don't already have it, get Yogi's PCT Handbook.  There is a nice chart that shows what a wide variety of hikers did for each resupply location as well as detailed descriptions of what type of resupply is possible at every location.

> My main goal is to have enough food, to know when to contact my boyfriend and tell him to send some food, to not be pressured into going into town for a resupply if I don't need one yet or want to push to the next town due to timing.

Due to the way resupply points are spread out on the PCT is would be *very* rare for a hiker to reach a resupply location and still have enough food to push on to the next possible resupply.  Basically when you leave one resupply you know almost 100% where your next resupply will be.

You may want to consider resupplying yourself on the trail.  When you are in a town will good resupply options.  Purchase your food and mail it ahead to yourself to those locations that don't have good resupply options.  It is more work in town, but I actually think it is less stressful than trying to explain to someone at home how much food you need/want and making sure they get it send in a timely fashion.

Radar