[pct-l] is this too much

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 23:20:58 CDT 2013

I'm about a 150 lb. 5'8" 52 year old female section hiker and I used to
"budget" about 2,600 calories per day as hiking has been my diet plan to
lose the weight I gained over the winter months.  But the lack of calories
kind of slows me down.  To keep up with my B.F. I need about 2,800 or
3,000.  The hike will attenuate your appetite so you can do it but you will
"bonk", which is a term which defines the condition where all your stores
of blood glucose and muscle glycogen are depleted.  Fat metabolism from
your body or conversion to energy can't go above a certain base rate that
is not conducive to the energy demands of a 2-3 mile/hour hike.  You will
have to slow down to a shuffle and then the BF (or your hiking partner)
will start to complain.  Eating moderate amounts throughout the day will
replenish the blood glucose and muscle glycogen, which will supplement your
fat metabolism and provide you with the energy for a nice moderate walk.

If losing weight is your game, then you just might want to throw in an
extra Lara Bar per day.  If you want the camaraderie of a cool hiking
crowd, bring just a few more calories!!!!

Just throw a box of wheat thins or triscuits in a zip-lock to bring and
you're good!  400-600 calories of dates, raisins peanuts, soy nuts or
whatever is not that big of a quantity.

Toga