[pct-l] How much water to carry

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Fri Mar 15 12:55:43 CDT 2013

Bill said: "I had read that a person drinks about a liter of water
every 7-8 miles.  Until yesterday, that was exactly what I was
drinking preparing for my through hike."

Moderating the amount you sweat is another way to moderate water
intake. Going up hills in the heat when you are fatigued with the same
pace used on the flats or when you are rested is unwise. I maintain a
pace that doesn't generate buckets of sweat.  I just go into "low
gear"--slow and steady, instead of maintaining a fast pace. I also
believe that your body will become more efficient the more you
exercise in the heat. I allow 1 liter for every 5 miles on average.
Through experience, I have found that I do most of my re hydrating in
the evening in camp.I drink to thirst, and that's when I'm the most
thirsty so I drink a liter or two then You have to learn what your
body needs by actually doing it--everyone is different. Sounds like
that's what you are doing.

I spent a 30 year career fighting fire in the heat and never had
re-hydration problems by just paying attention to my body's need for
water and responding appropriately.

--Fireweed