[pct-l] How much water to carry

Robert Henry rrh.henry at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 13:40:48 CDT 2013

I second Fireweeds comments.  The best way to manage water and
electrolyte loss due to sweating is to not sweat at all.  Hit the
trail at first light in the morning and hike for 4 hours; this means
getting up at 0430, but then you get to enjoy the critters, the dawn's
early light, and so forth.  Hole up for the day in shade and near
water.  Hit the trail again in the late afternoon when the breezes
kick in and the shadows lengthen, and hike until it is too dark for
safety's sake.  Don't hike up those exposed south facing slopes in the
day, or at least not anytime after noon!  This is really where "Hike
your own hike" is important.  You are not on city time, and not on the
time table of the other hikers.