[pct-l] cell phone/internet coverage and apps for Windows phone

Devon Taig devon.taig at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 10:48:59 CDT 2013

I have a Windows Phone 7 myself, but I think in practice you'll find the
GPS doesn't work very well when away from a cell tower.  It uses A-GPS
which means "assisted" GPS...essentially it requires a cell tower to
establish more or less where it is before being able to use the GPS
satelite system at all.  That's very unfortunate in my opinion as it
renders the phone next to useless as a wilderness GPS navigation device.
 Now, to be clear, you might have cell service and then wander into an area
where there isn't cell service and the GPS continues to work just
fine...that would be the expected behavior. But if you turn it off and then
on again when there isn't cell, you are generally out of luck no matter how
much sky you can see.  I don't know if things have gotten better with
Windows Phone 8, but please let me know what your experience is using GPS
with a Windows Phone is when there isn't cell coverage.

River