[pct-l] cell phone/internet coverage and apps for Windows phone

Rob Flynn rob.flynn at live.com
Mon Mar 18 11:51:49 CDT 2013

I used my Samsung Focus (a WP7 device) as a GPS many times last year while
thru-hiking, even without a cell signal.  The more you use your GPS WITH a
cell signal, the more it updates the aGPS cache data, and the quicker your
fixes will be even without a cell signal.  So the key is to use your GPS
just once while in town and with a good data connection, so your phone will
update the aGPS cache.  Then, yes, you can use it even without a cell
connection.  It will take longer (especially if has been a while since you
last updated your aGPS cache; the data becomes less useful within a few days
or week, haven't verified the actual time), but it will still find your
location.

All smartphones have this basic functionality.  iOS, Android, Windows Phone,
Blackberry, etc.  Some GPS chips are better than others, but for the most
part any smartphone will give a similar experience.  A dedicated GPS unit
does have better GPS hardware onboard, so if navigating by GPS is key, then
you will want one of those.  But, if you just update your aGPS cache every
time you are in town, your smartphone will still provide acceptable
performance in the field; I know from experience.

InsGadget