[pct-l] Snow, Water, KO and Start Dates

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 10:52:10 CDT 2013

Well, it looks like the KO is bursting at the seams this year, with zero room for walk in's.

It also appears based on the snow plots at:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/swcchart.action

that this year is shaping up to be similar to the very low Sierra snow year of 2007.

Also recall that in 2007, it snowed early up here in Washington - mid September, and it was enough to push many of the remaining hikers off the trail.

Also consider that So Cal has had low rain so far this year, which will result in the seasonal or lesser water sources drying up or turning gross earlier than average.

With that combination of factors, were I hiking this year, I'd strongly consider pulling my start date forward from the common wisdom late April time frame.  I'd want to take advantage of the on average cooler weather and what seasonal water there will be in So Cal earlier in the hiking season.  With what appears to be a low snow year, early KM dates aren't likely to be an issue (and if late season conditions changed this, a few on trail zero's would slow me down enough to compensate).  With the KO being full, if I weren't already signed up, I'd skip it and use those days to keep moving north (down load the water report on line, not that it would matter much since if you're leaving early, YOU'd be the one providing the info - Yogi's more historical info in regard to the reliable water sources would be invaluable, IMO).

In the high snow year of '06 I started April 25 and left KM to head into the Sierra on the morning of June 14.  With that prior experience, I'd be targeting a KM departure date for this year of between June 1 and the 5th based on current snow indications so would start around the 10th to 15th or so.  That would also put a person on track to make it to Canada earlier in the fall, thereby being less likely to be hit by any early snow in Washington.

YMMV, HYOH, IMHO, opinions and back sides  - everybody has 'em, 2 cents, free advice being worth what you paid, etc, etc, etc.