[pct-l] Wood stove on PCT

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Sat Mar 23 14:18:15 CDT 2013

One of the issues with wood-burning backpacking stoves is that they aren't allowed in many backcountry areas.  I believe they are prohibited in Southern California, and pretty much any place where wood fires are banned, such as at high elevations.  If there is a summer burn ban, it usually includes wood burning and alcohol stoves. Most forest service sites define it by saying that if the flame "cannot be spread by wind, and does not leave behind by-products that might start a fire" then it's acceptable for backcountry use. This obviously would mean that a  wood-burning stove is not allowed.