[pct-l] Cougars

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 09:26:16 CDT 2013

In disguise!

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra

--- On Fri, 3/22/13, patti kulesz <peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: patti kulesz <peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Cougars
To: "Steve Rolfe" <steve.rolfe at comcast.net>, "'PCT listserve'" <pct-l at backcountry.net>
Date: Friday, March 22, 2013, 4:56 PM

cougars on the trail? NONSENSE!

Sugar Moma

________________________________
From: Steve Rolfe <steve.rolfe at comcast.net>
To: 'PCT listserve' <pct-l at backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:32 PM

I live on Cougar Mountain in the city of Bellevue, a suburb of Seattle.
There is a Tiger Mountain about 5 miles to the east.  Both got their names
from the cougars that live here.  According to our local newspaper there has
been quite a bit of research on the whereabouts and wanderings of cougars in
our area.  As I remember the research determined that cougars were not
uncommon, but very stealthy.  One could be next to your backyard fence and
later in the day several miles away.  They are almost never seen even though
they are often very close to us.

I've never seen a cougar while hiking or in the wilderness, but startlingly
I saw one in my backyard about 5 years ago.  I live near a greenbelt, but
not on one.  The cougar had to go through several yards, jump the fence on
one side of my yard and then jump the fence on the other side of the yard.
The dog never noticed the cougar.

The Elementary School in my neighborhood is called Cougar Ridge Elementary.
At least once there has been a lock down because of a cougar sighting.

There are large wildland parks on both Cougar and Tiger Mountain with
numerous trails and lots of hikers.  Presumably there are quite a few
cougars that live in the area.

As I remember according to the research there is no record of a cougar in
our area attacking anyone.

Interestingly enough I've seen a bobcat twice in my backyard and once
observed a bobcat kitten in a tree very near the elementary school just
sitting there for an hour waiting for its mom, I suspect.

Personally, I'm afraid of the raccoons.  I have strawberries in the
backyard.  The raccoons love them.  The yard is very dark at night.  Once I
walked into a family of raccoons.  They were not friendly to me and they
weren't the least bit interested in leaving.

Steve