[pct-l] Self sufficiency

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 30 04:53:50 CDT 2013

I hiked the PCT in 1980. This was before the phenomenon known today as Trail Angels. While I did run across a lot of friendy locals, they were random and spontaneous encounters. Folks in Wrightwood, Belden Town, and Ashland were especially hospitable.

Water was a constant source of concern so I carried a lot. Having started out in March, weather was another concern so I carried a 2-person tent (Jansport Wedge) and my 2 partners shared a 4-person tent (Jansport Dome.) When we later parted ways, I had no qualms about hiking solo. I also had no problems hooking up with other hikers for periods of time.

My guiding principal: carry whatever I would need to survive alone in the wilderness.

I didn't skimp on food. My drop boxes, packed by my family and mailed to the prescribed destinations by the prescribed schedule, included Tang, instant oatmeal, re-packaged Ramen noodles, tubes of peanut butter, tubes of honey, bags of dried fruit, and bags of jerky. I carried my own stove and a cannister of white gas. A nice hot meal at the end of a day was my guilty pleasure. I don't ever recall being hungry on the trail but there were occasions when I had to ration my food as I calculated the distance to the next resupply point.

By today's standards, I would be categorized as a Heavy Trucker.

My advice to the Class of 2013:

Hike Your Own Hike
Prepare for the unexpected
Take nothing but pictures
Leave nothing but shoe prints
Stop and smell the roses (or cactus blossoms or pine needles)
Enjoy the unbelievable experience
Be proud of what you have accomplished

Ernie Castillo
PCT Class of 1980