[pct-l] Desert hiking techniques

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Wed May 1 11:37:59 CDT 2013

On 5/1/2013 10:16 AM, Junaid Dawud wrote:
> 2. Take off shoes and socks and elevate your feet at every break.
> Change socks once at lunch.

I would change socks more often than that.

I found that the fine grit that got into my shoes was like sandpaper on
my feet. You should wash the grit off your feet any time you have a chance.

Wash your feet. Dry them thoroughly. Change socks. Rinse the grit out of
the old socks, if you are able to. Pin the sweat-soaked (or newly rinsed
out) socks on the back of your pack.

It takes time, but your feet will thank you. Had I done this, I would
have made it past highway 74.