[pct-l] Early PCT Casulities

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 18:41:38 CDT 2013

Paul wrote:
>You don't need a map or compass,  Also, arguably, true.  I've met first-time-PCT hiking buddies using nothing
but the data book.  It's a very easy trail for most to follow, though I
personally wouldn't advocate hiking it with just the data book.  I've never
used a compass or seen another PCT hiker use a compass.  It's a very well
established trail.
Reply:

Ahem....I wouldn't call that arguably true.  I'd call it demonstrably dangerous.

Yeah, sure, perhaps THIS year, when there will be little to no snow in the Sierra or anywhere else on the south parts of the trail.  You can possibly skate by there.

Pick a high snow year on the other hand, like '05, '06, or '11 and a person in the Sierra would be hosed without nav gear.  Unless you want to tag along with someone who knows what THEY'RE doing...then again, that's not hiking your own hike, that's being dependent on some one else.

Oh, and hope to heck you don't get caught out here in northern Washington at the end of the season, with no maps, no compass, snow on the trail....oh, wait...that DID happen, just last year....and the guy was lucky to get out with his life after starving in his tent for over a week with no food.