[pct-l] Lassen over Memorial Day weekend?

hiker2009 at comcast.net hiker2009 at comcast.net
Fri May 17 10:08:45 CDT 2013

I am sorry to interrupt the regular program of metadiscussions about
mountain biking discussions... but I have a hiking question.

I was thinking of section hiking N around Memorial Day weekend this year.
It's a pretty good time for the Hat Creek Rim, but what about Lassen and
Humbug/Humboldt? Was the south end of the Cascades in the low-snow
or normal-snow belt this year? Humboldt is around 7100' while Lassen
tops out about 6700'.

When I did this before around July 4, I remember Grassy Swale as being right
up there with Sky Lakes for insect life. I wonder if it would be better
or worse this year at Memorial Day.

Another exciting alternative (much longer drive though for me) would be
Horseshoe Meadow to Walker Pass... I think somebody (Trailhacker?) already
mentioned going through this section northbound, whence I infer that the
trail and road are already passable to Horseshoe Meadow in this dry year.
I think it was another dry Memorial Day that I did this section several
years ago, and encountered only slight snowbanks. I did have the
beautiful S Fork Kern bridge campsite to myself that time.

If you get half a dozen copies of this message all at once, it means that yahoo has finally flushed a corrupted MX record for hack.net...
please ignore the redundancy. For the time being I've switched to a comcast account.