[pct-l] SENIOR HIKER

belcherjd at juno.com belcherjd at juno.com
Sat May 18 13:33:55 CDT 2013

Jack
Your plan for the Goat Rocks are very doable.

I hiked that exact section 7+ times and Losthiker is correct. Your biggest concern is weather while going over Old Snowy and the hogback.

The first time I hiked this section was with my 9 and 11 year old daughters (now 29 and 31). We had a 7 day forecast of great weather and 70* in late August. The day we went over the hog back (known as the "knife edge" in some PCT circles) it was 35* to 40* with 20+ mph wind. We were in a blowing fog with 15 ft of viability. (my girls demanded we go back again the next year to go over in good weather .... it took our third time to get that good weather)
The point is .... be prepared for whatever the mountain may throw at you.

Jon (Gandalf - PCT class of 2013)
Marysville WA