[pct-l] Siberian Husky on PCT

Matthew Edwards iceaxehikes at gmail.com
Mon May 20 14:20:05 CDT 2013

I would seriously listen to the advice you are getting here.
SoCal is not the only place on the PCT where its seriously hot.
All of northern California is Hot Hot Hot at the time a North bound thru
hiker gets there.
Can your dog withstand 105 degrees for 30 miles?
That's how hot the hike into and out of Seiad Valley was when I went thru.

If its your dream to do this, by all means make it happen.
But I would caution you to be ready to scrap your plans at any moment for
your dogs safety.
Maybe have a chase crew meet you at the end of each section that could take
your dog.

I saw day hikers and weekenders with dogs in Oregon and Washington.
Met some folks on other trails with a dog along for significant sections.
Never met anyone taking their dog the whole way.
Mendo rider brought his horse along, maybe ask him the logisitics and care
involved with animals on trail.
It is no small feat I imagine.

Best of Luck.