[pct-l] Break Strategies

Michael Irving michaeljirving at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 23:54:20 CST 2013

OK, here's an actual hiking question to mix things up.

To provide some context, I'm not a thru-hiker but a MYTH (multi-year thru hiker) hopefully.

When I hike I tend to want to power through with pretty short breaks that may not even involve taking my pack off or sitting down. I usually have a short lunch but that may only be 20-30 min. I read/hear about thru-hikers often times having more formal breaks. (I tend to eat steadily through the day rather than set eating/break times).

So, my question is if there is any info or opinions on how a break strategy or lack thereof impacts the average persons body in ability to hike longer miles and/or the same miles more comfortably. Sometimes it seems that breaks can make it even harder due to tightening up.

Any experienced thoughts on this one? I don't recall it being discussed since I've been reading about the PCT over the last few years.

Thanks!
-GoalTech