[pct-l] Another missing hiker found

Wally Neal wallyneal at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 07:19:49 CDT 2013

"...  They go out into what SAR agencies consider hazardous weather
conditions just because they have this personal need to finish ... if the
rest of us don't like what you are doing then we can stuff it ...
HYOH......just don't ask anyone to risk their lives to come get your silly
ass. Just HYOH on your own ... YOU PAY FOR THE RESCUE"

Andrea, I agree, basically, with this post and your others ... except ...
you need to consider what we all know is likely true - every single person
these people know or have encountered since deciding to hike the PCT have
told them "That's crazy ... stupid ...dangerous ... You could die ... Others
have died ... You can't do that" - over and over and over. Yet, there they
are just 100 or so miles short of their 2650 mile goal. And they got there,
especially those hiking a long distance for the first time, largely through
sheer persistence, stubbornness, and determination, including a lot of
painful miles through ice, snow and cold ... much of it "hazardous" ... and
none of it requiring SAR. All those months and months of negative words,
followed by triumph, have produced a very effective mental filter of "I
have! I can! I will!" ... and, yes, "I must!"

I can't think of what words you might use to get through that mindset and
communicate that "this time, it's different" ... but that mindset, which
produced success to the point you are talking with them, is the problem ...
not "personal need".

-Walljito