[pct-l] The guide books

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 10 18:22:50 CDT 2013

You can get by on almost nothing,but why do it? In my opinion having the narrative and at least one type of paper map is a good idea. Electronic devices have been known to break down.  If you don't send anything else ---send yourself the next section maps of the trail. I found many. --and I really mean many --water sources that were not shown on Halfmile 's maps and apps.  They are wonderful but no source is perfect. If you put a few together it will help you navigate. Carrying a fraction of an oz could make such a difference    The new sections of the trail are well known. It does not matter that the guide books are old. Just ignore them for those areas. And pay attention at trail junctions. Every mistake I make is a silly one ---where I read a sign wrong.  I've led a few people up the wrong trail --embarrassing but true.  Marmot

Sent from my iPhone