[pct-l] Postholer's Map Books?

Wally Neal wallyneal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 19:24:59 CDT 2013

I would appreciate some comments from section and thru hikers who have used,
on trail, the 2012 version of Postholer's (K Scott Parks) PCT map books.

I bought the Postholer So. Cal. Book and it seems rather ideal. Am I missing
something?

I also have Halfmile's 2013 map set. A bigger format but the topo
presentation is not significantly different. Halfmile's map pages have a lot
of well-listed waypoint type info much of which is on the Postholer maps,
but it's not so easily noticed. However, in terms of handiness &
organization, the Postholer book is clearly superior. The Halfmile maps are
a bunch of loose, hard-to-handle 8.5x11 sheets of paper that weight a full
16 oz. for PCT sections A through H. The Postholder map book for the same
stretch of the PCT is 9x6 (great size for a ziplock), bound of course, that
weighs just 8.7 oz.

I have, and have used on-trail, the GREAT!! Halfmile PCT app that provides
the "side-bar" type info in an even more usable form than is on the map
sheets.

So ...  How about using (1) Halfmile's app for the details of where's the
trail and/or that next waypoint? Plus (2) Posthoiler's map books, and a
compass where needed, for physical backup? I would highlight certain
waypoints and/or water sources on the Postholder maps.

My Morotola MAXX smartphone with normal use will go 10+ days without
recharge even if on continuously. On GPS only and on no more than 12 hrs.
per day, I thinking about not even taking a solar charger ... just
recharging at resupply ... but I will likely take solar.

If I do this, I would have Halfmile's maps in my bounce bucket ... just in
case the technology approach is a bust.

Does anyone know why this approach is likely to be a bust?

-Walljito