[pct-l] What do you say to mountain bikers on the PCT?

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 15:08:35 CDT 2013

What to say? If you can't say something kind or be polite, don't say
anything at all. My momma taught me that. I need to remember it more often.

All of my advice on the matter is General Advice, not directed at the OP.

If it upsets you, be a good witness and take notes, details are *very*
important. If you want to risk a confrontation, say anything you want.

If you want to be a possible criminal, do something that I would consider
stupid. Someone riding a bike on a closed trail is not an affirmative
defense for the use of some kind of self defense. Sticking a hiking pole in
bike spokes is at the very least Reckless Endangerment. Depending on what
happens leading up to, during, and after such an action could boost the
charges to felony level. Even cops don't use deadly force on someone that
is only guilty of driving too fast or driving on the shoulder of the road.

This is a touchy subject. Both sides are right, and both sides are wrong,
depending on what finer point is being hashed out.

But, above all, the Golden Rule always applies, unless you life is truly in
danger. Some people have a real over-inflated idea of what endangers their
life. Best of luck with that, and carry your attorney's phone number with
you so you can call them from jail. The mere small chance that an action
can endanger your life is *not* enough cause to over-react anywhere,
anytime, unless you can back up your actions in court. for further advice,
consult a criminal law attorney. I am not a lawyer, but I played deputy
sheriff for a while in OR.

And no one is given permission to reuse my words on the matter in any way
as an authoritative source of information on any of the topics regarding
this or similar matters. Period. Full Stop. Any regurgitation of my
thoughts should be claimed as your very own, and you are advised to act
like a rational, sober adult in the matter, just as I am attempting to do.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives."