[pct-l] Fwd: What do you say to mountain bikers on the PCT

JB de Anza johnbdeanza at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 16:39:15 CDT 2013

But documentation of illegal use is just that: documentation of illegal
use. While illegal use is certainly a form of "conflict" and should be
discouraged and punished whenever possible, I don't think the mountain
bikers are denying that some people are riding on the PCT. In fact, some
brag about it like it's some kind of civil disobedience, which is a bit of
a stretch since they don't seem to be volunteering to be ticketed.

Some of the same mountain bikers also point out that other trail users
break rules too or also cause trail damage. I'm not sure that everybody
running around documenting and reporting everybody else's violations or
impacts is a very productive direction. And I'm even less confident that
USFS will know what to do with a stack of "evidence" anyway. But if it
makes people feel like they're doing something proactive, then I guess
people can decide for themselves. Just keep it safe and civil or the whole
idea is likely to backfire in my opinion.