[pct-l] bicycle class at Cascade Lockes

JB de Anza johnbdeanza at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 12:06:38 CDT 2013

Danny,

I don't know who or what was presenting that information, or if your
recollection is entirely accurate, but it certainly sounds like you are
referring to IMBA's Rules of the Trail and the accompanying graphic image.
Link the the graphic is here and pasted below are the Rules of the Trail.

http://www.mountainjunkies.net/IMBA_Respect.gif

IMBA developed the "Rules of the Trail" to promote responsible and
courteous conduct on shared-use trails. Keep in mind that conventions for
yielding and passing may vary in different locations, or with traffic
conditions.

   1. *Ride Open Trails:* Respect trail and road closures — ask a land
   manager for clarification if you are uncertain about the status of a trail.
   Do not trespass on private land. Obtain permits or other authorization as
   required. Be aware that bicycles are not permitted in areas protected as
   state or federal Wilderness.
   2. *Leave No Trace:* Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy
   trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft,
   consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails
   and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at
   least as much as you pack in.
   3. *Control Your Bicycle:* Inattention for even a moment could put
   yourself and others at risk. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and
   recommendations, and ride within your limits.
   4. *Yield Appropriately:* Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users
   know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try
   to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists
   should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is
   clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should
   yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way
   or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and
   courteous one.
   5. *Never Scare Animals:* Animals are easily startled by an unannounced
   approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and
   time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow
   directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and
   disturbing wildlife are serious offenses.
   6. *Plan Ahead:* Know your equipment, your ability and the area in which
   you are riding and prepare accordingly. Strive to be self-sufficient: keep
   your equipment in good repair and carry necessary supplies for changes in
   weather or other conditions. Always wear a helmet and appropriate safety
   gear.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Danny Wormington <dannywormington at gmail.com