[pct-l] SoCal in October

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 18:16:21 CDT 2014

Snow rarely hits the San Gabriels, San Bernardinos, and other SoCal
mountains before late November. All the other hazards you list--Santa Ana
winds, lack of water, poison oak, and poodle dog bush--will be there for
you, however. (For the most part the PCT is too high for poison oak in
SoCal mountains, but where you do encounter it, you have to be careful in
the fall because a lot of the foliage has dropped and it's not as easy to
spot. The remaining branches, twigs, and leaves carry enough oil to affect
some folks who brush against it.) It's actually a great time to be in the
SoCal mountains, as long as you know where to find water.