[pct-l] Freeze dried or dehydrated food?

Gail Van Velzer vanvelzer at charter.net
Thu Aug 28 13:19:06 CDT 2014

What Ken says is good, with a few modifications.  The "Just Veggies" line is
expensive, but you can get it much cheaper through Honeyville.  It's  a #10
can, so one can will do for an entire thru hike, especially if you get
several varieties.  Trader Joes is a good source for the dried fruits.  I
like the "cereal" he makes.  The Nido powdered milk is good, but also
expensive.  You can get several types of spray dried milk and milk
substitutes at Honeyville much cheaper.  I like the one called Mountain
Fresh.  It's got some soy in it, but it tastes the most like real milk.  I
bought a 50 lb. bag and store it in tin cans that are sealed with an oxygen
packet.  I have a friend who lives closeby that has one of the can sealers,
so I bought in bulk and saved even more.  You can buy the oxygen packets at
Honeyville in various sizes.  I also use a Food Saver a lot.  Once you open
the can, store it in the freezer and it will last a long time.  The two
types of beans that Ken mentions can also be bought at Honeyville much
cheaper and taste just as good.  As for the tuna and chicken packets, I use
the freeze dried chicken and it only takes about 10 minutes to rehydrate.  I
sprinkle some water into a ziploc along with the chicken about 30 minutes
before I plan to stop for lunch.  I use dehydrated onion, celery, apples and
sometimes dried cranberries.  I put these in a separate ziploc at breakfast
so they have more time to rehydrate.  I carry mayo packets and relish
packets and mix everything together for lunch.  I like the Sandwich Thins
best because they pack well and keep well, but tortillas are great too.  I
do bring the tuna packets, but one of these days I'll try dehydrating the
tuna and seeing how it tastes.  I just canned a 20 pound tuna last weekend
that my neighbor brought home from his fishing trip.  He caught 13, so he
gave one to me.  I tried dehydrating the chicken myself, but it won't
rehydrate well.  It's like trying to rehydrate beef jerky.  Hope this info
is helping you.
Gail