[pct-l] "WIld" with Reese Witherspoon by Chery Strayed

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 00:52:03 CST 2014

Sierra Nevada, or loosely translated, the Nevada mountain range.   If it
wasn't in Spainish, which most people don't understand the meaning, the
range would normally be abbreviated as the Nevadas rather than as The
Mountains which could refer to any mountain range.  Similar to how the
Rockies is used for the Rocky Mountains.  But we Californians are
egotisitical enough to think that just calling them the Mountain is enough
for everyone to know what we are talking about.  As there can only be one
Mountain range that doesn't need to be refered to by name.  :p

Yogi is correct that it is more proper to use Sierra then Sierras though
many people add the S and don't care.  So there is no point in fighting
over it.  And as a confession, when I was in College I use to call it the
Sierras also because that is what I heard others using.  After being
corrected once by someone I respected and telling me the meaning of the
words, I decided it made more sense to change since it was more gramically
correct.  So I'll accept both, but I draw the line at calling them the
Sierra Mountains.  Who calls a mountain chain the Mountain mountains?  That
is just sooo wrong.

-Miner