[pct-l] HikeFor - dedicate your hike to any cause

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Fri Feb 7 00:40:13 CST 2014

Hey all.

I built a website (www.hikefor.org) that allows you to dedicate your hike to
one or two causes of your choice, for example: 75% to cancer research or
whatever charity you want to support, and 25% to the PCTA.  I set it up like
this because I think it's a great idea to split off some of the funds you
raise to the organization that takes care of the trail you're on, but that's
entirely voluntary - you also have the option to hike exclusively for a
single cause.

Your friends/family/supporters can pledge a per-mile donation, and HikeFor
will politely remind them to make their donation when you finish your hike.

HikeFor doesn't accept the donations - your sponsors will make them directly
to the target causes.  Not a single penny is received by HikeFor.

The site has been upgraded with a simple but attractive journal feature that
will notify your sponsors when you add a new entry.

If your cause isn't yet in the list, let me know and as long as it's a
legitimate non-profit, I'll add it.

I've put a lot of work into the site, so it's rewarding to see it used!  If
you're headed out for a big hike and are keen to dedicate it to a cause you
are passionate about, take a look.  Keep in mind that it's just a tool -
only effective if used well.  Register a hike & don't tell anyone about it
and you may not get a single pledge - but register a hike and promote it &
you could potentially raise a bundle for your cause.

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback.  J

Cheers,

Paul "Potential 178" Mitchell

www.hikefor.com/Potential_178/PCT/2010