[pct-l] Shoe size and blisters

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Feb 12 02:35:53 CST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM, -Mountain Goat- <themtgoat at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In my experience, with my feet, and other people that I led (standard) backpacks on is,
> trail hardening your feet is the best way to avoid blisters on your hike.

If you do get blisters, I strongly recommend Compeed blister pads from
Europe. The J&J version are crap IMHO, but you can get them via
Amazon.uk

Open a hole in the blister big enough it won't reseal, a few mm is
enough. Let it drain overnight.

Cover the whole area with tincture of benzoin compound (NOT tincture
of benzoin) and let it dry for a few minutes, then put on the Compeed.

If you are careful, you can keep the same pad on for 3-5 days till it
falls off on its own, long enough for the skin underneath to begin to
heal.

They have really helped me several times at the beginning of long hikes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tincture+of+benzoin+compound
https://www.google.com/search?q=compeed+blister