[pct-l] Socks... And Fire...

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 00:47:46 CST 2014

Yeah, cartoon feet!  That's it Jeffrey.  And what that gives your feet is
an almost barefoot feeling inside the oversized shoes.  My feet flop around
in my shoes which only provide protection from sharp rocks and other stuff
on trail.  But with no insole, my feet are free to claw and twist and move
anyway they want inside those floppy shoes.  The shoe is loose enough not
to impede my foot's natural movement.  The proof for me was no pain over
the entire CDT in spite of no support or stiffness, features most shoe
salesmen will try to sell you on.  And we carry a pack, walk with grit in
our shoes (I rarely wash my feet during the day, only at night when I don't
want to bring those filthy feet into my sleeping bag, however, I do believe
it is a good idea to stop and wash, I'm just lazy) and we do it day after
day for thousands of miles.

People have asked me if it's a problem going downhill for long stretches
when your foot can slip forward in the shoe and your toes jam into the
front of the shoe.  This does happen, but is not uncomfortable and never
caused a problem for me.

Think of the Tarahumara of the Copper Canyons running 50 and 100 miles in
huaraches, loose open toes sandals with old tire tread for a sole.  Our
human feet are potentially very tough and strong.  The most important part
of getting that toughness and strength for me has been lots of training,
lots of grit, lots of hiking in all conditions and not supporting them with
the crutches, the supports and pads, that keep them from becoming strong.
 For me, "less is more."

Shroomer